3.13.2014

Smoothie #1 - Sage Succulence

Full disclaimer: I was the first person to judge the look of green smoothies... until I tried one. The look alone and knowing that it was mostly from spinach or kale, did not come across as appealing. My sister would make them all the time and tell me that "you can't taste the spinach", but where I am very much a texture eater, I just assumed that it would be gross. 

Just recently I had one that was lime green made with fat free Greek vanilla yogurt, mango puree, apples, banana and spinach. Not going to lie, going into my first sip was like forcing a kid to try brussel sprouts (or trying to get me as a grown adult to eat brussel sprouts). However, I was pleasantly surprised! It was very flavorful and I guess my sister was right; I couldn't taste any of the greens. I was also shocked by how it filled me up and seemed to give me that little boost of energy to get through the rest of the afternoon. And did I mention that if you make it with all fresh ingredients, its super healthy (adding vanilla ice cream makes it a frappe and not a smoothie)?! 

I decided to try making them on my own so after each successful recipe, I will share it here for the rest of you to enjoy. 

I called this one Sage Succulence.


I added the following to the blender:
  • 1 cup of Greek Nonfat Vanilla yogurt
  • 1 full banana
  • 1/2 of Mango
  • Handful of spinach
  • Handful of raspberries 
  • 5 Ice cubes

And voila!


My only complaint is that next time I probably wont add raspberries only because I don't like the little seeds (I told you about my texture issues)... 

Let me know what your favorite recipes are! 




No comments:

Post a Comment